Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Etsy Shop Feature: Beadliotheque

This is the first in a series of features on fellow EtsyBead Team members.


It is sometimes easy to diminish the "art factor" when it comes to designing beaded jewelry...but after you read and see the lovely creations by Kelly of Beadliotheque, I'm sure you will agree there is much art involved here! I asked Kelly to answer a few questions about her work and her life:

Q1: You have a unique style to your jewelry. Where do you get your inspiration?

A1: My inspiration comes from the materials I typically gravitate to. It might be an extraordinary piece of lampwork, a fancy gemstone, an unusuaI ceramic button, a carved bone bead, etc. But there is always something unique about one element in each piece that I do that started the "creative juices" flowing. I work very diligently to challenge myself to put "unlikely to get along" materials in a complimentary situation. That means that I have to look at the materials and find common ground among them.


Typically for me it's color, that's the starting place where I am most comfortable and confident and it's where I have the most fun! Next is the choice of shape of the components. I tend to create mostly bracelets at the moment because it is more difficult to find "great combinations" of elements in a shorter piece. Working out the mechanics of the closure is also challenging but very satisfying when I have a finished product. Last is the overall pattern. I ask myself a lot of questions. Does the bracelet, necklace, or brooch have enough interest from the beginning to the end of the piece? Have I created the very strongest and boldest relationships among the various components? Would I take great pride in owning this particular piece of jewelry? If I answer "no" to any of these questions it's back to the drawing board.

It takes a lot of trial and effort until it comes together and you have that "magical moment" when you feel that all the elements have come together and you have created a harmonized, unique piece that someone else will also find beautiful!

Q2: Is Etsy your full-time job? What other things do you enjoy?

A2: My etsy shops are my full time work. I also have a destash shop, Beadlstyx, which is full of left over beads that I tend to accumulate in no time at all! This shop directly supports Beadliotheque in purchasing new supplies and keeping the bead cycle alive and well.


I have a big case of Etsyitis. I love my etsy friends and the warmth of the artistic community. It's a virtual village of constant inspiration and unique commerce like no where else! I shop, research, convo, laugh, cry and when I'm lucky enough I'm sometimes able to have show and tell with my extended family and friends. I send them emails when I'm picked for a treasury or win a contest! It's such a positive environment that it becomes addictive in the best way!

I am also a "swim Mom" and anyone that has a year round swimmer in their family knows how much time and effort is involved in pool side support.

Q3: What is your favorite jewelry piece from your Etsy shop and why?

A3: Currently in my shop I have two favorite pieces one is "Sunshine and Cupcakes". I absolutely love the lampwork by CharlestonBeadworks and "Twylight" with the most precious button toggle by Moonsie. Each of these bracelets have such a "child like" exploration of color and materials. They were both so much fun to make and l love the way they both turned out from beginning to end. Each of the artists whose work I used are lovely Etsy friends and I love being able to use and promote products made by other Etsy artists.


Tribal Rainbow is my "prodigy piece" because it made the FRONT PAGE of Etsy! One of the biggest highlights of my Etsy career!

Q4: Favorite color? Favorite food? Favorite vacation destination?

A4: If I have to choose ONE favorite color it would have to be RED and all of its cousins, especially purple and orange.

My favorite food is DEEP DISH PIZZA!

Our family goes on an annual beach trip to Holden Beach, NC every year! We book the same house because the rear of the house faces the marsh and the intercoastal waterway to the ocean and from the front of the house it's just a short walk to the beach. It is located at the end of the island on a culdesac street so it's very quiet and peaceful.

I hope you enjoyed this interview with Kelly. Please take a moment to leave a comment here and visit her shop!

No comments: